Background

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Comments, Comments, Comments

Okay blog-buddies, I need your help. Even if you are a blog stalker. Don't be shy now, I need your help and I welcome your visit and advice (seriously in my bored days at work I clicked on lots of friend's blog lists and found random blogs to peruse, so I judge not, rather take it as a compliment).

Now to the point of my ramblings. Somehow, I, the girl who proudly never attended a youth church dance, nor any of the adult dances since getting married, have been put on the committee for the stake valentine dance. Ack! And because there were only two of us who showed up at the original meeting, I not only am on the committee, but am the point [wo]man for the refreshments. Apparently our stake has really done it up in the past thanks to some generous padding of the budget by generous stake members. But this year we're on a strict budget and therefore are to "tone it down" a bit. But of course I don't want to be the one who disappoints everyone with some dud of a dance. So no pressure, right? :-/

So that's where you come in. I need your suggestions, advice, comments, anything. What have you seen done before? I want to know what has and hasn't worked. Seriously if there aren't any comments I might just have to cry myself to sleep, over being a loser with not even blog-buddies AND from the stress of this stinkin' dance!

8 comments:

Kiera said...

Hey girl. There are several woman in the stake who own a chocolate fountain and I'm sure that would be very cool. Though I have NO idea how that might work on budget but there's an idea. Also I'm sure there are more then a few (cough Abra Riley cough cough) who love to make cakes and stuff maybe you could have a bragging rights table where woman who have skillz can show them off. Just an idea. hope it helps.

courtney said...

Chocolate fountains sound awesome. They've done pie's a lot, which I am not a fan of. It's boring, and, I don't like pie (unless it's 80% chocolate). I like the idea of having volunteers bring desserts.. That's my 2 cents!

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear you are so stressed out over this. Do you know I am a professional cake decorator? I also do catering; BUT I am working that night. IF you want to borrow any platters or anything, I would let you do that. Also, Tessa McMurrian and I both have punch fountains with colored lights, you are welcome to borrow mine if you want. I can also whip up some amazing chocolate silk pies for you; and yes, they are more than 80% chocolate. Give me a call, I will gladly help you wherever I can.

Anonymous said...

darn it all, I forgot to tell you, I'm Jeanna James..503-452-3190

Ms. said...

So what kind of clothes? Is it dress up or casual? Anyways quick food I best I think and not messy I would say easy things like that can be eaten off of a napkin. Boys don't care if they stink but girls do so no funyions. I will list things that i remember being at dances growing up

Gummies (like the prepackaged fake fruit)
Popcorn
miniature candy bars
Veggie tray
Sliced apples
Brownies

And I highly reccomend not having soda or sticky drink unless of course you have a huge clean up crew maybe you can't avoid it

Its inevitablet that there will be food all over when its time to clean up so I would say get extra help/volunteers for that part.

And yes I think that that is a great idea @courtney to have sign ups for extra desserts so then it is like
"well I this was in our budge-popcorn and water-and no one else brought anything so therya go"

GOOOOD LUck my friend! It will be fun

Jana said...

I'm in your same boat - haven't been to a whole lot of church dances. My first thought was chocolate fountain. Or you could turn it into some type of bake off. The youth there could vote on the desserts. I would stick to a theme that doesn't require more than a napkin - like cookies or dessert pizzas. Another option is a hot chocolate bar (see ourbestbites.com) and something simple like fresh fruit or quick breads.
Amber is the queen of throwing parties and large socials. You should email her if you need other ideas.

Kris and Megan said...

Hey Sara, I have been such a slacker checking your blog! Unfortunately I don't have great ideas for a sweetheart ball, sorry. Maybe stringing the white christmas lights would be inexpensive and things people already have and could contribute? I've seen them string them across the ceiling, or make a low ceiling with them if that makes sense. Anyway Sam is so cute, I loved reading all your commentary on him and seeing the pics. He is a handsome little guy and looks so much like you to me so I'm glad at least one mom is getting credit for all the hard work of having the kids! (mine look just like their dad, haha.) Anyway I will check and comment more often! :)

Emily said...

I don't know if you will have a sit down and eat area, but our SAMs club (do those exist up there?) has amazing red velvet cake that has a cheesecake layer on top. It is fabulous, but you would definitely want to sit to eat it.