Sometimes the politics loving girl in me surfaces. And today she took action. Now I'm just curious if anyone else thinks like I do.
Here is a copy of an email I sent to the Obama campaign through his website. They say they read them and a response may be delayed. But I'm not holding my breath.
To whom it may concern:
You can attribute this email to a slow Friday at work or my reaching the end of my fuse. But I just felt I had to send this email, knowing it may never get read.
I am a 24 year old female who used to call herself a Republican during her early college days as an International Relations major. But I eventually lost my desire to enter the political world, becoming too discouraged with politics today. To many I am still a conservative; religious, traditonalist and the daughter of an Admiral and Corporate American man. But like so many Americans today I consider myself of the independent type. Not just because of changing views, but in large part to my displeasure with both parties. Although I do not agree with everything Senator Obama believes in, I have come to find that he is the best candidate running (don't get too excited sometimes in voting I just pick the one I hate the least...but lately Obama has really grown on me, my vote just may be due to a like rather than a dislike of the other, so good work there).
So why am I telling you all this? Well my mind may change with his Vice-Presidential choice. In my analysis of both past elections and the current election I truly feel that Democrats have lost in part to their inability to capture the growing "independent" vote (by Independent I mean the many disillusioned Americans that do not have exceptionally strong ties to one particalur party, they may even loosely associate with one of the two major parties but is willing to cross party lines in voting for the better candidate). We've had 8 years of Clinton and 8 years of Bush. I think many Americans (especially those who voted in their parties primaries due to closed state elections but could easily cross over in the general election and those locked out of closed primaries) are ready for a fresh start. Our society, the sanctity of family, education, prosperity have been attacked over the years. Someone new needs to be in charge. I truly believe adding Senator Hillary Clinton to the ticket would be a bad decision. Senator Obama, you say you are a change we can believe in? How is extending the Clinton era change? Have you stopped to think that many who voted for you may have done in part to their hatred of Senator Clinton? You may gain a portion of her votes but how many of the ones you already count will you lose? How many potential cross-overs and "independents" will you lose?
I of course am not privy to the workings of your campaign. So this email may be a moot point. But I implore you, be the CHANGE that I can believe in.
Sincerely,
Sara Sinsay-Gomez
Just another voter
What week is it?
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment